Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Back from the Buckeye Book Fair


On Sunday afternoon we cruised 90 miles across beautiful Ohio country side, returning along Route 250 from Wooster, Ohio where the 20th anniversary of the Buckeye Book Fair was held. Rubbing elbows with other Ohio writers at Ohio's biggest literary event was exciting, at times intimidating, and often eye-opening.

On Saturday morning before the doors opened at 9:30, I toured the Fisher Auditorium to see the wide variety of books on sale. After glimpsing the offerings, I wondered how my novel, Murder at Whalehead, made it through the selection process. Most of the books were beautifully designed with eye-catching colors--easy to see that professional graphic artists had exercised their creative powers. A couple of authors told me that to be approved by the BBF steering committee was quite an honor because many books are turned down.

Once the doors opened the day whirled by. I was amazed at the number of customers interested in my novels. Many had read about the plots in the brochure and wanted copies of both books. Others were familiar with Martins Ferry and were interested in reading about The Healing Place. Quite a few were Outer Banks regulars and were anxious to read a murder mystery set at their favorite vacation spot. One patron explained that he loved to read books set in real places that he could one day visit. I told him to stop by the Ohio Valley after reading The Healing Place and I would show him the Chair. Of course, I warned him not to sit on it at midnight.

All in all it was a great experience. It would be neat to return there and do it again some day. Who knows? If I publish The First Shall Be Last next year, maybe they will invite me back. Until then I'll keep plugging away at marketing and writing.

Talk to you later,

Joe C. Ellis

CLICK HERE to view video trailer for Murder at Whalehead
Link to front cover: CLICK HERE (Click on cover to enlarge)
Link to back cover: CLICK HERE (Click on cover to enlarge)
Link to first eleven chapters:CLICK HERE
Visit my website at http://www.joecellis.com/

No comments: