Saturday, August 9, 2008

Becoming My Own Distributor


This summer I've taken on the task of becoming my own distributor. For the first year (June 07 to May 08) Outer Banks Press distributed Murder at Whalehead to the bookstores on the Outer Banks. A couple of bookstore owners wondered why I didn't distribute the book myself and thereby cut out the middle man. I hesitated to do that because I thought there would be a lot of work involved. In May I discovered that my distributor was considering the possibility of going out of business. At that point I decided I better take over the distribution.

It has definitely made my summer busier (sorry for lack of blog posts) but rewarding. Two or three times a week I am signing books, packing up boxes, and sending them out to various bookstores. Sometimes the orders come fast and furious. The following Outer Banks stores are now carrying the novel:

THE WHALEHEAD CLUB GIFT SHOP
ISLAND BOOKSTORE COROLLA
ISLAND BOOKSTORE DUCK
ISLAND BOOKSTORE KITTY HAWK
BEACH BAG MUSIC AND BOOKS
COROLLA BOOKS, GIFTS, AND CARDS
DUCK'S COTTAGE BOOKSTORE
THE BLACK PELICAN GIFT SHOP
MANTEO BOOKSELLERS
BUXTON BOOKS

We're coming up on 2000 copies sold. Now if only some big film studio would offer me a deal on the movie rights! I'd love that.

Talking about movies, I recently posted an Outer Banks Ghost Story on YouTube. Check it out by clicking on the link above. Also check out my YouTube channel by clicking this link: http://www.youtube.com/user/whalehead

My next novel, The First Shall Be Last, will be available soon (Sept 15). Make sure you order a copy at Amazon.com or BN.com.

Talk to you later,

Joe

Amazon link to Murder at Whalehead
Amazon link to The Healing Place
BN link to Murder at Whalehead
BN link to The Healing Place

No comments: